Distance Scholar (non-degree)
Those interested in taking a specific online course for academic credit should apply as Distance Scholars. The Distance Scholar application is brief and focused. Courses taken as a Distance Scholar may later be applied to an admitted student’s degree program.
Cost of Attendance - 2015-16
For Graduate Credit
|Tuition Per Course||$2004|
|Enrollment Deposit||$200 (applied to the Online Course Fee)|
|Technology Fee||$100 (for students taking a single course in a given term)|
|Online Course Fee||$200|
|Total Cost, One Course||$2304|
For Auditors (non-credit)
|Course Audit Fee||$755 ($485 for Alums)|
|Total Cost, One Course||$755 ($485 for Alums)|
Distance Scholar Application
Students interested in taking a specific online course for academic credit may apply to study as a Distance Scholar. A succinct online application is utilized for this purpose. Applicants must confirm access to a computer that meets the minimum requirements for online education at CTS. Criteria for admission varies by course selected and are determined by the instructor. A bachelor’s degree is strongly preferred; however exceptions may be made for applicants with significant life and ministry experiences and at least two years of exemplary undergraduate education. Some classes may require prerequisites. Courses taken as a Distance Scholar may later be applied to an admitted student’s degree program.
Qualifications: A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution is strongly preferred. Exceptions may be made for applicants with significant life and ministry experiences and at least two years of exemplary undergraduate education. Some classes may require prerequisites.
1. ADMISSIONS PROCESS: Admission to The Chicago Theological Seminary as a Distance Scholar is limited to the single course to which you have applied. Please select the specific course to which you are applying before beginning the application form.
Prior to submitting an application, confirm that you are able to meet the technical requirements listed above, review the course syllabus (as available), read the CTS Mission and Vision Statements and the CTS Statement of Commitments.
Upon admission, additional information will be provided regarding enrollment in the course. Admission will be granted on a first come, first served basis until enrollment has reached the maximum capacity. In the event that the course has reached capacity, your application fee will be refunded. Applicants are encouraged to inquire regarding the availability of given course prior to completing an application.
2. APPLICATION FORM: Read all directions prior to beginning the form online. You may complete the form in more than one session. Once you have completed the first screen and proceed to the next, a PIN will appear at the upper right hand corner of the second screen. For convenience, keep your PIN handy. You will use this number to access your application at any time, once you have exited. Once you have begun your application, you will have 30 days to complete the form. Online applications that are not completed within 30 days will be discarded. If you experience technical difficulty submitting the application, please contact the Admissions Office.
3. COURSE SELECTION/STATEMENT OF INTEREST: Identify the name of the specific course to which you are applying and describe your interest in taking this course in a brief statement. Please keep your statement concise (2-5 sentences.)
4. STATED AGREEMENTS: As directed, confirm that you have
1. regular access to a computer meeting the minimum technical requirements (see below);
5. ACADEMIC RECORD: Provide the name of the college or university where you earned the highest degree (or the institution you are currently attending) on the online form. Send an official copy of the academic transcript associated with this education directly to Chicago Theological Seminary, Admission Office, 1407 E. 60th Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
6. INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS: TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores are required of applicants for whom English is a second language. The minimum acceptable TOEFL score is 550 on the written test, 217 on the computer test, and 80 on the internet-based test. The CTS school code for the TOEFL is 1120. The TOEFL may only be waived if the applicant has completed another degree, in English, in the United States. Transcripts written in a language other than English must be accompanied by a notarized translation.
7. APPLICATION FEE: A non-refundable $50 application fee is required of all online applicants. Payment may be made by debit card or credit card (MasterCard, Visa, Discover Card or American Express.) Persons serving as volunteers, team members, Corp members, staff and alums of the AmeriCorps, City Year, Peace Corps, and VISTA are eligible for an application fee refund. Refund will be done by mail following receipt of proof of affiliation.
8. APPLICATION DEADLINE: Distance Scholar applicants must complete the application process within 30 days of the start date of the course selected. Admission will be granted on a first come, first served basis until enrollment has reached the maximum capacity. In the event that the course has reached capacity, the application fee will be refunded. Applicants are encouraged to contact CTS regarding the availability of a given course prior to completing an application.
9. STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS: Application to the Chicago Theological Seminary as a Distance Scholar is limited to the single course to which an applicant has applied. Submission of an application and the supporting documents indicates that the information is accurate and true to the best of the applicant’s knowledge. All documents submitted as a part of an application become the property of the Chicago Theological Seminary and are not transferable to a third party.
- Operating System
- Mac: OS X 10.5 or higher, 450MHz PowerPC G3 processor or higher recommended
- PC: Windows XP w/ Service Pack 2 or later, Vista, 7, Home, or Student.
- Other: Red Hat® Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 5 or later, openSUSE® 11 or later, Ubuntu 7.10 or later, or Solaris™ 10.
- Ram: 1 GB (gigabyte) or more
- Hard Drive: 10 GB or more
- The capacity to watch multiple video formats:
- Soundcard and speakers (or headphones)
- Display: 15” monitor or larger (Some 13” will work); resolution should be 600 X 800 pixels or higher.
- Current version of Adobe Reader and Adobe Flash player
- Web Browsers: CTS Online (Moodle) is optimized for Firefox but works well with most browsers.
- Internet Explorer 7
- Firefox 3.6.6
- Google Chrome 2.0
- Safari 3.0
- Opera 9.5
- AOL 9.0
- Broadband is highly recommended and is defined as:
- Upload transfer rate of at least 1.0 megabits/second (or higher), and
- Download rate of 2.0 - 4.0 megabits/second (or higher)
- Cookies must be enabled.