You don't have to come here to go here. CTS online offerings provide flexibility and allow any student, regardless of location, to study with us.
These online courses are rigorous and learner-centered, continuing our commitment to preparation of religious leaders in a diverse and online world. Through CTS online courses, you can learn from and with CTS' world-class faculty and students from all walks of life. Online students are always welcome to incorporate on-campus courses and to join the community in person. CTS invites you to craft a program of study that works for you.
Students who are interested in pursuing Masters or Non-Degree Programs at CTS can take advantage of the online options listed below:
|Degree Programs||Coursework||Other Requirements|
|MDiv||Up to 100% online||Field Ed., & CPE in your location|
|MA||Up to 100% online||None|
|MARL||Up to 2/3 online||Field Ed. in your location|
|STM||Up to 50% online||None|
|Non-Degree Programs||Coursework||Other Requirements|
|Certificate||Up to 100% online||None|
|Student at Large||Up to 100% online||None|
|Distance Scholar||Up to 100% online||None|
- Graduate-level education: Interwoven into all of the CTS degree programs is a deep commitment to the rigorous study of religion and theology, a profound appreciation for diversity and inclusion, and the belief that a multivocal and multidisciplinary approach to graduate theological education is essential for today's world. In keeping with these philosophies, our online courses require your focus, dedication, and contribution. Although CTS online courses provide a significant degree of flexibility, to succeed with a CTS theological education, students should expect to dedicate at least 9-12 hours per week to each CTS online course in which they enroll. CTS online courses are designed to be fully beneficial when you demonstrate:
- Active and timely participation to online discussions
- Timely and thorough completion of reading and other learning materials
- The ability to produce high-quality papers and other learning outputs.
But don't worry! If you can't answer these questions, our CTS Online Orientation experience, along with our ongoing tech support, will help you get ready.
In order to get the most out of the CTS Online experience, your computing environment should minimally meet the requirements described at the bottom of this page.
- Your discussion posts ignite discourse that spans a few minutes to a few days.
- Student responses will reflect a deeper level of thought than a casual in-person conversation.
- You have more time to digest the learning materials provided by the course instructor and the contributions made by your colleagues.
Technical requirements: What will I need for online courses at CTS?
Just about any computer that can connect to and browse the Internet will work for online learning. For the best possible experience, use a PC or MAC computer with the following specifications:
- Mac: OS X 10.5 or higher, 450MHz PowerPC G3 processor or higher recommended
- PC: Windows XP w/ Service Pack 2 or later, Vista, 7, Home, or Student.
- Other: Red Hat® Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 5 or later, openSUSE® 11 or later, Ubuntu 7.10 or later, and Solaris™ 10.3.
- Intel® Pentium® II 450MHz, AMD Athlon® 600MHz or faster processor (or equivalent)
- For any computer /operating system you will need:
- Ram: 1 GB (gigabyte) or more
- Hard Drive: 10 GB or more
- The capacity to watch multiple video formats: -You should have Windows Media Player 11 -If using a Mac, download the current version of Flip4Mac or Windows Media Player for Mac -Apple Quicktime, which works on Windows and Mac
- Soundcard and speakers (or headphones)
- Display: 15” monitor or larger (Some 13” will work); resolution should be 600 X 800 pixels or higher.
- Current version of Adobe Reader
- Adobe Flash player
- CTS Online (Moodle) is optimized for Firefox but works well with most browsers.
- Internet Explorer 7
- Firefox 3.6.6
- Google Chrome 2.0
- Safari 3.0
- Opera 9.5
- AOL 9.0
Broadband is highly recommended and is defined as:
Upload transfer rate of at least 1.0 megabits/second (or higher), and
Download rate of 2.0 - 4.0 megabits/second (or higher)
Typical DSL, ADSL, and Cable TV Internet connection easily meet these requirements.
Cookies must be enabled.