Our mission is to help develop individuals for the next generation of religious leadership – whatever that may be. We are committed to transforming society towards greater justice and mercy.
To this end, we have several theological commitments that guide us here at CTS. At the front of this list are our commitments to racial and social justice, to gender issues, to LGBTQ rights and to Interreligious Understanding.
- We are committed to a curricular structure in all degree programs that encourages academic excellence and free inquiry.
- We are committed to confronting the spiritual impoverishment characterized by meaninglessness, lovelessness, and hopelessness with the message of the divine call, love, and promise.
- We are committed to enabling communities of faith to effectively engage in public ministry.
- We are committed to fostering better understanding and collaboration among religious traditions, paying particular attention to cooperation among Christianity, Judaism, and Islam.
- We are committed, in a society riven by racism, to equipping leaders who honor cultural and racial diversity while resolutely combating the forces of division and domination.
- We are committed, in a world in which sexism remains a powerful force, to fostering leadership for gender justice.
- We are committed, while church and society are threatened by new forces of division under the banner of homophobia, to developing leadership for a more inclusive church and society.
- We are committed to fostering the international collaboration of institutions that have a similar commitment to the transformation of church and society and equipping individuals for this ministry.
- We are committed to liberation from want, homelessness, hunger, and disease as companions with the poor, challenging structures and decisions that cause poverty.