Need a job? Take a look at these employment opportunities sent to CTS from churches and organizations nationwide.
Manager, Alumni Relations
- Description: The seminary seeks to hire a MANAGER OF ALUMNI RELATIONS in Advancement. This position will be report to Vice President of Advancement. The principal responsibilities include The Manager of Alumni Relations is responsible for the planning and implementation of events, programs and projects that strategically engage CTS alumni in strengthening programs and provide tangible benefits to alumni and current students. The CTS alumni community currently numbers approximately 3,000 of whom approximately 1,700 may be reached via current contact information.
- Essential Job Functions: Serving as an ambassador, the Manager of Alumni Relations is charged with coordinating events, programs, and projects for CTS alumni across the nation, the manager of alumni relations position is focused on planning events, projects and programs that generate contributed revenue as well as renew annual association membership dues from CTS alumni. The manager will also staff the CTS Alumni Association Advisory Committee.
- Position Description: Available, HERE.
Director of Worship Music and Worship Media, St. John's UMC (Davenport, IA)
- Website: www.stjohnsumc-dav.com
- Job Requirements: This full time position has responsibility for Christian Choral music as well as different styles of worship music; (classic, contemporary and gospel) that support the sermons, scripture and events as scheduled at St. John's. Requires a graduate or undergraduate degree in music ministry or equivalent, strong communication skills, knowledge of the liturgy and networking abilities. In addition to proficiency in music and keyboard, this position oversees the paid and volunteer music staff, the music budget and the use and care of the church's instruments. The Worship Media responsibility is also a part of this position. This includes audio as well as visual presentations. Coordinates music activities as appropriate and needed with choral groups of all ages, pastors, worship leaders, visiting groups/speakers etc. Recruits and trains volunteers to aid in producing/delivering media presentations as needed.
- Contact: The Rev. Anne Lippincott
109 E. 14th Street
Davenport, IA 52803
- Application Instructions: In order to apply for the Director of Worship Music and Worship Media position, please send us a cover letter and your resume. In your cover letter, please be sure to:
•Provide the reason for seeking this position
•Describe your understanding of the role of music in the life of a congregation
•Provide education, experience and expertise in required core skills
- Application Deadline: June 1, 2015
Director of Faith Formation and Family Engagement, The Congregational Church UCC (Rochester, MN)
- Organization Description: The Congregational Church, United Church of Christ, Rochester, Minnesota is pleased to announce the creation of a new full time staff position of Director of Faith Formation and Family Engagement. The Church is looking to fill the position immediately. The goal of the position is to fulfill the education needs of our children and to provide programming for family engagement and faith growth activity for all ages in a multi-generational Church. The position provides for a broad scope of opportunity for creative and meaningful programming within our Church.
- Website: www.congoroch.org
- Job Requirements: The Faith Formation and Family Engagement (FFFE) Director position has the overall responsibility to plan and implement vital, creative and safe faith-based learning and spiritual growth experiences for the church. The Director will be responsible for the: educational program of the church from pre-Kindergarten through twelfth grade, youth and young adult programming, and intergenerational and community engagement for all church families. The FFFE Director is part of the church staff and is responsible to create a welcoming and vibrant educational environment, recruit, direct, train and support the volunteer teachers for Sunday morning Christian Education Hour, plan worship experiences and seasonal events, coordinate regular youth group (middle school through high school) activities, young adult (post high school) programming and implementation of multigenerational programming with an emphasis on outreach and service ministries.
- Qualifications: The candidate must be on track to be an authorized minister in the United Church of Christ. The successful candidate will have earned a Bachelor’s degree along with either 1) a completed Masters of Christian Education or Masters of Divinity from an accredited seminary or 2) be enrolled in an accredited seminary for the attainment of Masters of Christian Education or Masters of Divinity degree. If enrolled, consistent and steady progress towards attainment of the Master’s degree is a condition of employment.
- Contact: The Rev. Teresa Roberts
- Application Instructions: Please find the full job description on the homepage of the Church’s website: www.congoroch.org. Please send your resume or curriculum vitae to The Congregational Church UCC, Attn: Rev. Dr. Teresa Roberts, 974 Skyline Drive SW, Rochester, MN 55902.
Revitalization Transitional Minister, Little Farms UCC (River Ridge, LA)
- Organization Description: Little Farms UCC was established in 1953, and was the first Open and Affirming congregation in the New Orleans Association and in Louisiana. Our membership has survived several internal events that reflect the resiliency of the congregation which demonstrates a stability and openness toward growth. Our Sunday mornings average 35-40 adults in attendance as well 8-14 children and this has been stable through the pulpit vacancy. Our interim pastor has successfully moved the congregation forward from the loss of a 14 year pastor and we are now ready to welcome new leadership.
Our mission at Little Farms UCC is “To be a loving, accepting, ministering Christian family, open to all.”
• Little Farms UCC is a progressive religious protestant church in a conservative area.
• There is an appreciation of our diversity and a hope for its increase.
• We are ready to partner with a new leader. This is a unique opportunity to make a difference in the shape of our church’s future.
• There is a mutually-supportive relationship among our New Orleans area UCC churches.
- Job Requirements: This is an opportunity to serve as Revitalization Transitional Minister at Little Farms United Church of Christ located in River Ridge, Louisiana. The Revitalization Transition Minister will address these goals:
• Evaluate and assess needs of the community in our area and develop measurable goals where the congregation can have a vested interest.
• These goals and objectives will also need to address growth and sustainability of Little Farms UCC
- Qualifications: Because of the experimental nature of this assignment, we are open to a full-time seminary intern, a recent seminary graduate, or an ordained pastor of the UCC or of our partnership ministries. The ideal candidate is an energetic person with vision and ideas to help us reach the previously mentioned goals. The first phase of this program will be the research and experimentation toward developing our mission. In the second phase of this program, our Church Council along with the additional guidance provided by a team of UCC Pastors from the Surviving to Thriving Leadership Council will conduct evaluations and provide supervision and support on a regular basis. “Surviving to Thriving” is an initiative offered since 2010 by the national church to churches in the New Orleans Association. We are one of seven participating churches. The Surviving to Thriving Leadership Council is a body of representatives from these churches which meet under the guidance of a pastoral coach. The leadership council explores ways to strengthen the churches through ministry and mission, individually and collectively.
- Contact: The Rev. Douglas Anders
9022 Long Point Road
Houston, TX 77055
- Application Instructions: Candidates are asked to submit a resume or UCC profile which will include the names and contact information of at least three references. References will be asked to comment on the candidates’ experience and/or potential in growth and creative ministry. The church will use the South Central Conference guidelines when negotiating a salary and benefits. Applications will be reviewed upon receipt.
Full Time Pastor, The Little Brown Church (Nashua, IA)
- Organization Description: The Little Brown Church in the Vale (The original church in the song "The Church in the Wildwood") is a small Congregational Church located in northeastern Iowa. The profile can be found on www.naccc. We are a regular church with all functions. We have large wooded grounds, church that was built 1860-1864, picnic area, one story parsonage that includes ELECTRICITY, HEAT, WATER, SEWER, SNOW REMOVAL, MOWING. Not only do we minister to our own church family, but also have a wedding ministry, visitors for services, tours, baptisms, and renewal of vows.
- Website: www.littlebrownchurch.org
- Job Requirements: Normal church duties such as sermons (Sunday services), visitation, involvement in church functions and the community. We have a larger ministry that involves weddings, renewal of wedding vows, baptisms, and tours that engulf more than the average small church. There are less than 200 weddings annually.
- Qualifications: Ordained pastor or lay pastor.
- Contact: Donna Pierce
1237 270th St.
- Application Instructions: Please call or submit a resume to Donna Pierce at the contact information above.
Interim Director of Children & Youth Ministries, St. Paul UCC (Waterloo, IL)
- Summary: Directs all Children's and Youth Programs for the St. Paul United Church of Christ (UCC) Waterloo, IL. Works with the pastoral and program staff, as work intersects their areas of ministry. Works with the administrative and support staff as needed to resource and maintain programs and ministry spaces assigned to Children and Youth. Is the primary staff person responsible for working with the Christian Education Committee, its sub committees and working groups.
- Experience: Minimum of bachelor's degree in related fields, M.A. in Religious Education or equivalent preferred. Minimum 3 years working or volunteering with youth and children in a religious setting.
- Hours: Full-time
- For more information: Download a summary of this position [pdf]
Chaplain, Edward Hospital (Naperville, IL)
- Organization Description: We're looking for chaplains with open, pro-active approaches that can work independently while providing pastoral care, spiritual direction, or pastoral/spiritual support; facilitating support groups and seminars; and providing worship opportunities.
- Website: www.edward.org
- Job Requirements: Provides spiritual care ministry, guidance and comfort to patients, families and employees of Edward Hospital. In doing so, visits patients and responds to their spiritual, religious, and emotional needs. Provides counsel and outside resource referrals to employees when requested, facilitate support groups, facilitate spirituality seminars, and provide worship opportunities for patients and staff. Duties include responding to routine and critical requests for ministry, maintaining departmental records, and the like. A flexible schedule with the ability to work days, nights, weekends, and holiday hours is required.
- Qualifications:Requirements include:
> One unit of Clinical Pastoral Education at an accredited educational site
> Bachelor’s Degree preferred
> Experience in small group leadership and development; and grief support preferred
> 30-minute response time
> Flexible schedule (including days, nights, weekends and holidays)
- Contact: Kathy Hester
Naperville, IL 60540
- Application Instructions: Please apply online at www.edward.org job#17930
Solo Pastor, Atkinson Congregational Church (Atkinson, IL)
- Organization Description:
The church serves the village of Atkinson and the surrounding rural area predominantly. In past years a good part of the congregation came from the rural area. The village population remains fairly steady, with the rural population diminishing, due to today’s farming practices of farmers combining smaller farms into larger acreages leaving many farm homesteads either gone or uninhabited.
However this community is a part of a larger community area consisting of several small towns within a 20 mile radius and while there are also other churches in those areas, there are people who are unchurched, or sporadically attending church, or believers not attending services of any kind. As with many communities our churches are attended mainly by the mature adult population, leaving the young families with no real church affiliation.
The need is there to reach these people & introduce them to the peace & comfort of Jesus saving grace. We are rural but we are not isolated.
Atkinson is a rural community of about 1100, located on Interstate 80 and US Route 6, 30 minutes east of the Quad Cities (Davenport & Bettendorf Iowa, and Moline, East Moline, Rock Island, Milan & Silvis Illinois), a metropolitan area of over 300,000 population, and is about 2 ½ hours west of Chicago. This makes the area a small-town, rural close-knit community with access to all the amenities one could want. Schools in the area have been mentioned, the QC has many industries, the Arsenal is a military base located on an island between Moline and Rock Island that has a strong industrial influence, being one of the largest employers in the area. Others would be Deere & Company who has several industrial plants in the area & their main headquarters located in Moline. Alcoa has a plant in Bettendorf, Iowa, 3M has a plant nearby.
There are several sports venues including, minor league baseball, & hockey. Deere & Co. sponsors a PGA golf tournament every summer. Music, art, & other cultural events are available in the QC. Anything that can’t be found locally is available in Chicago about 2 ½ hours away. A train connecting the QC and Chicago has been planned & approved however circumstances may cause delay. A completion date has not yet been announced.
Atkinson businesses are primarily agriculture related. Primary businesses are Atkinson Grain & Fertilizer, which is a grain elevator, Patriot renewable fuels, which is an ethanol processing plant, Gold Star FS service center, a farm chemical distributor, Wyffels Seed Company, grows, processes, & sells seed corn, VanOpDorp Trucking, who hauls farm products & livestock. We have the L&J Grocery, a barber, The Barn, & The Corner, (both serving food & beverages), Lisa’s Place, a restaurant & the Regional office of Education is located in Atkinson.
Atkinson is in a consolidated school system with students picked up & bussed 8 miles to Geneseo, a neighboring community of about 6,000. Geneseo school system is highly esteemed for both their academic and sports programs. The consolidated system allows the school to offer a wide variety of opportunities for the students.
In the immediate area, the private school offered would be the Catholic school in Geneseo, however Atkinson is about 30-40 minutes from the Quad City Area on the western edge of Illinois. The Quad Cities combines cities on both sides of the Mississippi river. In that area the private schools include a Montessori school, a Christian school and several others for students of all ages.
Black Hawk Community College has a campus in the Quad Cities & a campus in Kewanee a small town 12-15 miles southeast of Atkinson. In the greater area including the Quad Cities to the west and Peoria to the southeast within a 40-45 minute drive there are numerous colleges, universities & trade schools available. Western Illinois University is located in Moline IL, Augustana College in Rock Island IL, St Ambrose University in Davenport IA. There are nursing schools available & Palmer College of Chiropractic is located in Davenport IA.
- Job Requirements:
Since the present membership is made up of mostly retired folks with some who have gone to this church all their lives & like things “as they are & always have been”, there will likely be reluctance to making changes, but most of the congregation realize that change is necessary.
The complacent attitude in the congregation that has risen from having a part-time minister for over 20 years is causing the church to die. That minister has told us he is ready to retire & most of the congregation sees the need for a full-time minister who will be able to do more than come on Sunday morning, deliver a sermon, & leave.
We need a very active person with a deep commitment to introducing the gospel & God’s love, forgiveness, & salvation to everyone no matter what their circumstances or their past life. We realize this is going to be a huge job, but we also realize there are a good many young families in the area who travel the 8 miles or more to go to Geneseo or somewhere else to go to church because we don’t have a strong Sunday school for their children. We’ve had people come to church a few times & not return because we have little to offer them. The lack of people is not the problem.
We know that God has someone in mind who will be the answer to the challenge that we are presenting here. If that person is you, we will be more than happy to hear from you.
It is the Mission of Atkinson Congregational Church to enable persons to walk side by side in God’s way, and in our walking to draw other persons, young and old into Christ’s fellowship. We will walk shoulder to shoulder, follow God’s Word in everyday life and give witness to God’s love by daily acts of Christian friendliness. We will work in harmony, expressing the wholeness of Christ’s body, as we educate persons in God’s Word and develop the leadership potential of each one among us so that the ministry of the Church may be preserved into the future.
The primary goals are:
• To develop a plan for Christian education for all ages including Sunday School, men’s women’s & youth bible studies, & vacation bible school
• To increase membership, by seeking out new members.
• To increase church attendance & activity in the church.
• To increase social activities with the assistance of a new full-time minister.
The present church building is a 2-story brick building built in 1914, and has been well maintained. A lightning strike resulting in a fire 2 years ago caused a good share of the interior of the church to be repainted & refurbished. There are stained glass windows with protective covers. Wood pews with seat pads are in use, & several furnishings date back in history. Several years ago the entrance was remodeled to provide a ground-level entrance and an elevator installed to make all levels of the building accessible. Fellowship hall and the Sunday-School area are in the basement level. The building sits on a large lot located across the street from the city park. There is on street parking on 2 sides of the building.
The growth of this or any church body comprised of a mostly retired congregation will require change & new fresh ideas. We realize the ability to accomplish this will take time & hard work. It will take a special person who looks forward to this as a challenge. With God’s help & the right person, we know it is possible.
Qualifications: A seminary graduate who is ordained or qualified to be ordained. Further expectations are included in the previous information
Contact: Nellie Pritchard24738 County Hwy 22
Atkinson, IL 61235
Director of Youth Ministries, The Congregational Church of New Canaan (New Canaan, CT)
- Website: www.godsacre.org
- Job Requirements: The Congregational Church of New Canaan, Connecticut is seeking an energetic, passionate, motivated Christian to serve as full-time Director of Youth Ministries for the youth (grades 3-12) in our church and community. Our dynamic high school youth group (“YG”) has over 115 active members, our middle school youth group (“MSYG”) of 7th and 8th graders has 60 active members, our junior youth group (“JYG”) of 5th and 6th graders has 40 active members, and our “Guppies” group of 3rd and 4th graders has 30 active members. The Director is responsible for assisting the Youth Minister with the spiritual development and growth of youth participating in our youth groups. This includes taking a support role in the development and execution YG and MSYG, and a lead role in the development and execution of the JYG and Guppies.
- Qualifications: Undergraduate degree required
MDiv or additional education is a plus but not required
- Contact: Caroline Ainsworth
23 Park Street
New Canaan, CT 06840
Full-Time Pastor, First Congregational Church UCC (Walla Walla, WA)
- Organization Description: The oldest Congregational Church in the state of Washington now in its 151st year of faith and service to a vibrant and creative community in the Walla Walla Valley of Southeast Washington.
- Website: www.firstchurchuccww.org
- Job Requirements: Our congregation is seeking a full-time pastor who shares our progressive theology and supports an open and affirming church. Our pastor will be an engaging preacher who collaboratively plans and leads worship services that strengthen our commitment to understand and act on issues of social justice. Our pastor will help us develop our individual spiritual lives, connections to each other in community, and our ecumenical relationships with our neighbors. Our pastor will be a compassionate, caring person of faith who values pastoral calls and welcomes people with divergent views and lives.
- Qualifications:A seminary graduate, previously ordained or ordainable in the United Church of Christ
- Contact: John R. VanSlyke
First Congregational Church
73 South Palouse Street
Walla Walla, WA 99362
- Application Deadline: June 1, 2015
Director of Evangelism & Spiritual Growth (PT), Community Congregational Church (Elburn, IL)
- Position Description: The purpose of this position is to lead and guide the church in its renewal and growth by fostering the program of evangelism in the church.
Funding: As part of this renewal process, using Local Evangelism, Envisioning And Planting (LEEAP) funds from the Illinois Conference of the United Church of Christ, the church will seek to grow and to reach out to the community through evangelism. Church funds already budgeted will also be used.
Hours and Compensation: This position will be a one-year, temporary, part time position – 25 hours per week. The compensation will depend on education and experience.
- Supervision: This will be done under the supervision of the pastor, and a steering committee made of church leaders including members of the church council. The person filling this position will assist the pastor in reaching out to the community, especially the youth and young adults who are "unchurched, with expansion of existing programs and with new programs, including intergenerational programs. The position will be evaluated based on the effectiveness of these programs. The work of the steering committee will be reviewed on a monthly basis by the Church Council. The targeted demographic includes the entire community of Elburn and the surrounding community of "unchurched" people. We will include all members of the surrounding community—no exceptions.
- Goals: The first and foremost goal is to reach out to the community and to foster spiritual growth through the sharing the gospel through service, worship and education.
A second goal is to renew and to develop the spirituality and the faith of the existing members and of all who would come to participate in the programs of the church.
A third goal is to foster relationships between the youth and the older adults in the congregation by increasing involvement of the youth in the programs of the church that also include older members. This will be done through activities that involve youth and older members working together.
A fourth goal is to help youth understand the needs of older members of the church and to help older members of church and community understand young people –their needs and their concerns.
Ministries and activities that will be enabled by this position include the following:
• Faith development programs for all ages.
• Outreach to youth and young people in the church and community through development of the use of social media including Facebook and possibly Twitter.
• Plan and lead Sunday School for middle school and high school youth. The Youth Ministry Assistant will help with this ministry.
• Plan and lead the Vacation Bible School. Members of the Christian Education Committee will assist in this ministry.
• Assist staff and laity in the congregation by creating content for a new church website that will showcase what the church is doing in the community in terms of mission and outreach. This will be an often-updated, ongoing effort.
Intergenerational faith development activities that may be done through this the leadership of the person filling this position include:
• Establishing and fostering relationship between youth and order adults.
• Exploring with the pastor and worship team through a blended worship experience that would include explore how contemporary music could be included in the existing worship experience.
- Qualifications: Undergraduate degree with church experience. Graduate religious studies would be strongly encouraged as would experience with experience with contemporary worship and music.
- Field Placements: •This is a part-time position that may meet the terms of a seminary field
•If a personal car is needed for transport of youth and/or equipment in keeping with approved activities mileage may be requested. No mileage reimbursement is made for commuting.
•No other benefits will be provided.
•Rev. Bennett McNeal will serve as supervisor.
- Contact: Rev. Bennett McNeal
Elburn Community Congregational Church
100 E. Shannon St
Elburn, IL 60119
Youth Ministry Director (PT), Southminster Presbyterian Church (Arlington Heights, IL)
- Organization Description: PCUSA Church located in the NW suburbs of Chicago about 25 miles NW of downtown Chicago
- Website: www.spcah.org
- Job Requirements: Southminster Presbyterian Church is looking for an energetic individual passionate about youth ministry to serve as our PT ( 12-14) hours a week, Youth Ministry Director. The person should have a strong faith, strong work ethic, and live a Christ centered life. Good decision making skills and good sense of personal and group responsibility is a must. Flexible schedule will include Sunday mornings, Sunday evenings twice a month, once a month weeknight youth ministry team meetings, summer US mission trip, service outings and two retreats a year. Occasional social outings as planned. Responsible to Pastor and youth ministry team.
- Qualifications: Current seminary student or recent graduates are both encouraged to apply. The position will be responsible for formulating Sunday school lessons with an existing curriculum, assisting pastor with confirmation, developing social and service opportunities and fellowship nights twice a month. It will involve nurturing youth in their faith development, while creating meaningful mentoring relationships. The position is PT and does not include benefits. Salary of $17 an hour. 12-14 hours a week.
- Contact: Diane Ahlquist
Southminster Presbyterian Church
Sexton, First Unitarian Church of Chicago (Chicago, IL)
- Summary: The sexton opens the church on Sunday, prepares set-up for service, provides support to worship leaders, and re-sets the church following worship and Sunday church events.
- Hours: Sundays 8am - 2pm, plus occasional special events and services.
- Description: The sexton is responsible for all aspects of setup and breakdown around the Sunday services and special events. This includes, but isn't limited to, unlocking the building; setting up tables and chairs in the sanctuary, social spaces, and classrooms; liturgical setup and support to worship leaders; removing garbage; touch-up cleaning as needed; salting or sweeping sidewalks and paths; keeping an eye on entrances during the service; and other tasks as they arise to support the leaders of the worship and Sunday activities.
-Care and pride for this space which is our church home, and for its people
-A polished and professional manner appropriate to a Sunday at church
-The good judgment to troubleshoot and solve problems as they arise
-The ability to lift and carry up to 40 pounds and move large numbers of tables and chairs