CTS offers a wide variety of courses designed to challenge, intrigue, and rigorously explore subjects such as biblical studies, interreligious engagement, and race and gender justice, forming the next generation of religious leaders.
We have a number of unique partnerships, each offering access to a broader range of courses, degree programs, and world-class scholars:
- Bayan Islamic Graduate School (M.Div in Islamic Chaplaincy, MA in Islamic Studies)
- Hispanic Summer Program, an interdenominational project designed to provide opportunities to study theology in a Latinx setting with Hispanic peers and professors
- Hartford Seminary (M.Div)
- The University of Chicago and Aurora University (dual M.Div – Master of Social Work)
- ACTS – Association of Chicago Theological Schools (Bexley Seabury, Catholic Theological Union, Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary, Loyola Institute of Pastoral Studies, Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago, McCormick Theological Seminary, Meadville-Lombard Theological School, North Park Theological Seminary, University of Chicago Divinity School)
Academic Year 2021-2022
CTS offers Fall and Spring 14-week semesters, with on-campus, online, hybrid, and flex courses. We believe that everyone should have access to a high-quality progressive theological education—whether or not they can come to Chicago, have day jobs, or are able to study full-time.
Face-to-face courses meet 1x/week for 3 hours, generally Monday-Wednesday, and we always include several evening courses. Online courses involve a mix of synchronous meetings (small and large group) and asynchronous engagement with professors and classmates. Hybrid courses have differing schedules, but combine online work with brief intensive meetings (2-7 days) to take advantage of multiple learning modes. Flex courses can be completed fully online but offer some exceptional in-person opportunities for learning.
We also offer a growing number of Summer term courses and in-person intensives, including on-campus classes and study tours.
At CTS, we continue to innovate diverse and inspiring opportunities for learning throughout the year, so students can start when they are ready and make more rapid progress toward their degrees.