Enter your search word or phrase below:
Costs & Financial Aid
As you consider theological education, a couple of common questions are “How much is it going to cost?” and “How am I going to pay for it?” CTS is delighted to provide financial support to many qualified students. A variety of scholarships, fellowships, and grants are available, as well as federal student loans. This page will help you answer some of the most common questions regarding cost and financial aid here at CTS. For more specific questions, please contact Elder LaJeanne Grinnage, our Student Success Specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 773.896.2412.
A non-refundable $50 application fee is required of all online applicants. Persons serving as volunteers, team members, Corp members, staff and alums of the AmeriCorps, City Year, Peace Corps, and VISTA are eligible for an application fee waiver. Applicants must provide proof of affiliation in order to utilize the fee waiver option.
SCHOLARSHIPS, GRANTS & AWARDS:
Due to the generosity of donors who support the seminary, CTS is able to provide financial support to many qualified students. To be considered for financial aid, students should complete the appropriate CTS Scholarship Application below and submit this along with your completed application materials no later than the priority deadline for the relevant funding program as listed below. U.S. citizens and permanent residents are also asked to file the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) by March 1. The CTS school code for the FAFSA submittal is G01661.
- Merit Scholarships: Each year, a number of competitive scholarships are awarded to entering students with outstanding educational preparation as well as promise for transformative leadership. Merit Awards typically range from 50% to 80% of the cost of tuition and extend through the completion of the degree program. Merit Award recipients must remain in good academic standing by maintaining a cumulative GPA of at least 3.5 in order to renew the award from year to year.
- Named Scholarships & Awards: CTS donors fund a number of scholarships and awards providing substantial financial support to select students. Scholarships and Awards include the following: Jeremiah A. Wright Scholarship, Gilberto Castañeda Scholarship, The Kenilworth-Union Urban Ministry Scholarship, The G. Campbell Morgan Preaching Award, The William & Lucille Nickerson Scholarship, The Morgan Ebling Scholarship, and The Muriel I. Olsen Scholarship.
- Akaka Scholarship: Rev. Abraham Kahu Akaka was a CTS grad and community leader in Hawaii, helping the Aloha State achieve statehood. The Akaka Foundation Scholarship provides tuition assistance to a Hawaiian student, a student from Hawaii, or a student from Asia
- Need-Based Grants: Available to students in Masters programs as well as all as all international students, these awards are made on a yearly basis and apply to the cost of tuition only. Students may re-apply for a need-based grant each year. The amount of the award is based upon each student’s financial need, as assessed by the F.A.F.S.A. and the CTS Application for Financial Aid.
- PhD Tuition Fellowships: CTS awards a number of tuition fellowships to support outstanding PhD students.
- United Church of Christ Awards: After completing a year of study within a degree program, students who are “members in discernment” (in-care) with their particular Association of the United Church of Christ, may become eligible for a select number of UCC sponsored awards. These awards are typically granted in the second and third year of master’s level programs. Recipients need to maintain a strong academic record, and reveal gifts and graces for leadership in the church and academy.
- InterFaith Youth Core Scholarships: CTS welcomes students of all faiths. Our students are Jewish, Muslim, Christian, Hindi, Atheist, Humanist, and Multifaith. To this end, we offer scholarships to alumni of the InterFaith Youth Core. We offer one full tuition scholarship annually to an IFYC alum and a guaranteed 50% scholarship to all IFYC alumni admitted to a master’s degree program.
- National Baptist Convention of America Scholarship: Through the Hartsfield NBCA Scholarship Program, named after the Rev. Dr. Wallace S. Hartsfield, Sr., we offer a guaranteed 30% tuition discount for a NBCA member admitted to a master’s degree program. Applicants who apply prior to the February 15 priority deadline are eligible for further merit awards covering up to 80% of tuition.
- American Baptist College Scholarship: Through the Forrest E. Harris ABC Scholarship Program, named after the Rev. Dr. Forrest E. Harris, we offer a guaranteed 30% tuition discount for ABC Students admitted to a master’s degree program. Applicants who apply prior to the February 15 priority deadline are eligible for further merit awards covering up to 80% of tuition.
FEDERAL STUDENT LOAN PROGRAM:
CTS participates in the Federal Direct Loan Program. These low interest student loans from the US Department of Education are available to eligible US residents who are enrolled at least half time in a degree program. If you would like to apply for a Federal Student Loan, please view the fact sheet below or contact the Financial Aid Office.